I love decorating my house, especially for the holidays. I haven’t done very much of it until recently though because decorations are so expensive and I’m cheap. I’ve found my crafty side recently though and I love it. A year ago I would have never considered using a vase for anything other flowers. Today, I have a vase filled with popcorn kernels as part of my Fall Centerpiece. Hopefully, some of you will relate to that so that you aren’t all laughing at me.
Fall is by far my favorite season of the year, with October being my favorite month and Thanksgiving being my favorite holiday and all. I love the colors of Fall! Do you think it would be bad to decorate my house for Fall and leave it that way all year long?
I love this centerpiece. It’s fun and original and worked really well for Halloween with my felt bats and my chalkboard BOO! sign. And then I just so easily switched out the bats for an Autumn banner and the BOO! for a cornucopia.
The cornucopia was a Garage Sale $0.50 find. The vase is just filled with plain popcorn kernels and I made the printable Autumn banner myself and hot glued it around a piece of twine.
Here’s the link for the banner if you would like it for your personal use. The print size can be adjusted so it can be printed larger than my banner. Instructions are included in the file.
The pumpkin took some work though.
For my book pumpkin, I used a thin book (about ½ inch thick) we had that had a thin paperback spine. I opened it up, traced what I thought would be a good half pumpkin shape and used my Xacto knife to cut through as many pages as possible. Then, I would pull out the paper I wasn’t using, use the cut out I had just made to trace the pattern on the top of the next page and cut again. Sorry, I don’t have pictures of this part. Here’s the basic shape I used below. I did have to go back and cut the bottom at more of an angle. I angled it in toward the center, which helped the pages rest on the table.
Once I was done I pulled the cover, including the spine, off of my pumpkin. Then I used a hot glue gun to glue the spine in half on itself. Here’s a picture:
My book really wasn’t thick enough, so it was hard to get it to fold over on itself. Once the glue was dry, I set the pumpkin up and started to fan out the pages. If you didn’t cut the bottom of the pumpkin at the right angle, you’ll be able to notice it now because the pages won’t stay opened right.
I had to glue some pages together where natural gaps would form. In the process of fanning the pages out, I ripped off my stem. So I took a piece of string I had laying around and wrapped it around it to make it look like I had done it on purpose and hot glued it back in place. 😉
Once I was happy with what I had, I added some paint. I didn’t want the paint to be too bright since I was going for more of a rustic look, so I diluted it with water hoping it would look more subtle:
Then, I used a dry paintbrush and just pressed it along the edges of the book in sections. Once you have them all painted, fan the sections out again or they will dry stuck together and you may rip the pages pulling them apart.
When I brought my pumpkin inside I noticed a piece of green wire on the counter and wrapped it around a pencil and made vines for my pumpkin. I still have no idea where that wire came from.
I’ve never seen anything like it, so I’m pretty thrilled with this pumpkin. If I make another one and when you make yours, use a thicker book. Probably something close to an inch think would fill in much better.